Blunami Android Beta Testing
Category : Uncategorized
Welcome to Beta Testing for the Blunami Android app. The new version of the Blunami app has been rebuilt from the bottom up in the latest development tools which can deploy to any platform (Android, iOS, PC, Mac etc). We are very happy to have your help in the final stages of making this available to the public.
Requirements for participating in Open beta
To participate in beta testing you must have:
1) an Android device running Android 5 or newer
2) your Android must be updated to the latest version of Android it supports
3) an email address that you Android device uses to log into google play
4) the email account must be accessible from your Android device
5) a Blunami decoder installed in a locomotive
6) you must be willing to fill out a crash report form (using google forms) should your device experience a crash
Learn about crash reports
One of the challenges of deploying to Android is the vast numbers of devices supported (50,000+) and versions of Android to be accommodated. When you experience a crash on your Android, BlueRail receives a time-stamped notification that includes your Android model and some technical details about the crash. What we don't know is what you did that led up to the crash. We have created a form for providing that information. By combining the crash report BlueRail receives with the form you fill out, we should be able to solve the issue and release a new build. So having you fill out these crash reports is core to quickly fixing any issues in the app.
Please use the link below to fill out a crash report if you ever experience a crash when using Blunami Android.
Please note the Date/Time when a crash happens, so we can link it to a crash report Google sends us.
NOTE - the built-in crash report does NOT get sent till you re-launch the Blunami app following the crash. You must be on wi-fi (or have a cellular connection) for the crash report to get sent. After experiencing a crash please re-launch the Blunami app, and make sure you are on wi-fi (or have a cellular connection) when you do.
Blunami Crash Report Form
Signing Up for Blunami Android Beta
Use the links below to sign up for the Blunami Android beta test:
Sign up using your desktop computer
Sign up from your Android device
Limitations of the current app
The current app has some features that have not been added yet. Here is what the app currently supports:
1) Connections and train control for a single locomotive
2) Settings screens for all decoder features
The app presently does NOT support:
1) Multi-Train screen
3) DDE Calibration
These features will be added in subsequent updates.
The app does have support for Function Remapping management which is an interesting feature not presently in the iOS version.
Goals of this beta test
The goals of this beta test are to achieve a Blunami Android build that functions properly without crashing on Android devices.
To this end, we need your help to run trains and control settings and see if you can generate a crash, and then fill out a crash report form so we can fix the problem. We will notify you by email when an update is available that hopefully solves the issue.
Please do NOT use the crash report forms to send us suggestions on control components (sliders / selectors). In an effort to put an emphasis on app stability, we have taken certain shortcuts on how the control components operate (things that can be improved on once the app is fully stable and functional). I will list some of those below. If you have any "non crash report" feedback/suggestons, you can send an email to ("INFO" followed by the @ symbol followed by "bluerailtrains" followed by DOT "com"). Please put "Blunami Android suggestions" in the title.
Examples of control/component shortcuts currently in the Android build (or other unaddressed features):
1) No support for "tap above/below" throttle or haptic feedback on the throttle presently. We have some interesting ideas for things to do there. Presently use the slider throttle or the +/- buttons to control loco speed.
2) All settings controls are presently managed via a pop-up window accessed by touching any setting. We understand that are certain situations where that is not ideal (editing speed tables or EQ band sliders). We will come back and spruce that up after we have a stable build. Right now, everything is a pop-op.
3) No support yet for individual CV bit-by-bit management (ie CV29).
4) No Emergency Stop or Stop All yet.
5) No button hilighting for 3-step dynamic brakes yet.
6) No specific Reset decoder button yet.
7) Loco nickname may not refresh immediately when changed
How to receive app updates
Here is a general article on how to receive app updates (below).
How to update apps on Android
One easy way is to access the non-public link to Blunami on your Android device and click "upate" (if available).
Blunami page for Android devices
Another easy way is to use the Google Play Store on your Android in the "manage apps" section. Here are some screen grabs about how to navigate there (click image for better view):
Thank you for participation in the Blunami Android Open beta. We value your help in the development of the Blunami app.